Month wait for fate of Wanstead ‘mall’
PUBLISHED: 17:25 09 September 2015 | UPDATED: 17:25 09 September 2015
Campaigners and developers were left in limbo after inspectors stated the planning decision on the Wanstead “mall” would be announced in a month’s time.
The hearing into the controversial plans lasted all day on Tuesday, and included a trip to the site.
Mammoth Texryte Limited, of Selwyn Avenue, Newbury Park, hope to build a four storey building, on the old site of J Joliffie Ltd, in the High Street.
It will contain shops, offices and five flats, becoming the tallest building in the road.
The saga, which has been rumbling on since 2014, looks set to continue.
The impending decision is based on resubmitted plans, after an appeal by Mammoth was rejected last year.
The company then appealed again in 2015 against Redbridge Council, for taking too long to make a decision on the second proposal.
The hearing was set to take place on August 18, but was postponed until Tuesday due to letters informing residents of the meeting were sent out too late.
Kim Satney, who represents Mammoth, said they were looking forward to a decision being made.
He said: “We can never be too confident but we have done all we can. It was a very good hearing, very lengthy, but very thorough.”
The developers held an exhibition on the proposed site last week, in an attempt to assuage angry residents, who feel proposals do not fit with the character of Wanstead.
Mr Satney said: “The exhibition went really well, we had about 120 people, and only one went away still disagreeing with the plans.”
Cllr Chris Cummins (Con, Snaresbrook), who attended the hearing in a personal capacity, said he still wanted the appeal blocked.
Cllr Cummins explained: “I think they are putting a positive spin on it. It was not as clear cut as they thought. I think what they are trying to do is too overambitious.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.