Maypole and morris dancing enjoyed in the sunshine during May Fair in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Traditional outdoor pursuits were enjoyed in the Ilford sunshine as visitors took part in maypole dancing and morris dancing on Saturday.
The Friends of Valentines Mansion’s May Fair attracted a large crowd who enjoyed performances by The Blackhorse and Standard Women’s Morris dancers as well as a variety of stalls and arts and crafts activities for all the family.
Twenty-one children from St Margaret’s Church, Balfour Road, Ilford, danced around the maypole at the event held at Valentines Mansion and Gardens, in Emerson Road, after practising since February.
Barbara Norcaro, chairman of the The Friends of Valentines Mansion, said: “The fair went very well and we had a good flow of people throughout the day.
“This is the tenth May Fair the group has organised and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and the young maypole dancers drew a large crowd.”
You may also want to watch:
MP Iain Duncan Smith, who attended the fair alongside MP Mike Gapes and Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Felicity Banks, said: “The fair was a fantastic day. These community projects serve us well in pulling people together and I congratulate the organisers.”
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station