Maypole and morris dancing enjoyed in the sunshine during May Fair in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Traditional outdoor pursuits were enjoyed in the Ilford sunshine as visitors took part in maypole dancing and morris dancing on Saturday.
The Friends of Valentines Mansion’s May Fair attracted a large crowd who enjoyed performances by The Blackhorse and Standard Women’s Morris dancers as well as a variety of stalls and arts and crafts activities for all the family.
Twenty-one children from St Margaret’s Church, Balfour Road, Ilford, danced around the maypole at the event held at Valentines Mansion and Gardens, in Emerson Road, after practising since February.
Barbara Norcaro, chairman of the The Friends of Valentines Mansion, said: “The fair went very well and we had a good flow of people throughout the day.
“This is the tenth May Fair the group has organised and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and the young maypole dancers drew a large crowd.”
You may also want to watch:
MP Iain Duncan Smith, who attended the fair alongside MP Mike Gapes and Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Felicity Banks, said: “The fair was a fantastic day. These community projects serve us well in pulling people together and I congratulate the organisers.”
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 7 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion