Man suffers burns to face, arms and legs in Clayhall house fire
- Credit: Archant
A man was rushed to hospital with burns to his face, arms and legs after a blaze took hold in a Clayhall home in the early hours of this morning.
Fifteen firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a home in Torquay Gardens at 2.15am today (April 23).
All six occupants evacuated the house before the fire services arrived, after hearing the sounding smoke alarm.
One man, believed to be in his 40s, was found by firefighters and paramedics to be suffering from smoke inhalation as well as minor burns to his face, both arms and both legs.
The London Ambulance Service (LAS) took the man to Queens Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder has contacted LAS for an update on his condition.
The fire started in the first floor rear bedroom of the terraced house and is believed to have been caused by a faulty pedestal fan.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
Two firefighters entered the property using breathing apparatus and thermal imaging cameras and extinguished the fire by 2.53am.
Around 50per cent of the bedroom was damaged by the fire and the rest of the property has suffered some smoke damage.
Three fire engines attended - one from Woodford Fire Station supported by two from Ilford Fire Station.
David Carnegie, Woodford Fire Station’s watch manager, said: “There is no doubt that the fact that they had a smoke alarm meant there were no further serious injuries.
He added: “We advise all homeowners to have multiple smoke alarms on each floor and to test each smoke alarm weekly.
“If you need a fire smoke alarm or a home safety visit you can call 08000284428 or visit london-fire.co.uk”
“There are three steps that can save your life in a fire.
“Step one is to get out; Step two is to stay out; and Step 3 is to call 999 when it is safe to do so.
“After that we will be on our way as quickly as possible.
“In 2016-17, our outreach response time was five minutes and 25 seconds.”