Man charged with Ilford murder of prostitute Mariana Popa pleads not guilty
- Credit: Archant
The man charged with murdering Mariana Popa in Ilford Lane has pleaded not guilty.
In a hearing this morning at Woolwich Crown Court, Farooq Shah, 20, of Station Road, Forest Gate, denied murdering the 24-year-old woman.
He appeared from prison via video link and is next due to attend for a pre-trial review on April 4.
The trial is not expected to start until May.
Mariana, believed by police to be a Romanian prostitute, died at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, in the early hours of October 29 after being found collapsed in Ilford Lane.
You may also want to watch:
She was found to have died of shock, haemorrhage and stab wounds.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 5 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 6 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 7 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 8 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion