Man burnt in Ilford workshop blaze
A man was seriously hurt during a blaze at a car repair workshop.
More than 35 fire fighters tackled the flames at the garage in Ilford Lane, Ilford, that began about 9.15pm yesterday as billowing smoke could be seen from miles away.
One man was taken to Royal London Hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation as six crews extinguished the flames.
Scott Dubray, 42, filmed the drama as it unfolded on his iPhone. He said: “I saw a big plume of smoke out of my window so I rushed around. I was there as the first fire truck arrived.
“I heard a big boom but I don’t know what it was. The flames were coming out of the back of the mechanics to about half the height of a tree, it was very dramatic and there were lots of spectators.”
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
A spokesman for the London ambulance service said that a doctor, two ambulances, a single responder and a hazardous response unit were rushed to the scene
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
The cause of the fire is now under investigation.
Did you witness the blaze? Call the newsroom on 0208 477 3821.