Man arrested in India over rape and murder of Hainault woman
A man has been arrested in India today in connection with the rape and murder of a Hainault woman more than two years ago.
Michelle Samaraweera, of Kielder Close, was found dead in Walthamstow on May 30, 2009.
The 26-year-old man was arrested by Indian authorities at New Delhi airport over the murder and three other sexual assaults.
The Metropolitan Police will now be seeking the man’s extradition to the UK.
Michelle, 35, had been strangled and raped as she returned to her boyfriend’s address after stopping by at a nearby supermarket.
You may also want to watch:
Her body was found in a small park and play area along Queens Road.
Detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command had linked three other assaults in the area.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved