Man arrested in India over rape and murder of Hainault woman
A man has been arrested in India today in connection with the rape and murder of a Hainault woman more than two years ago.
Michelle Samaraweera, of Kielder Close, was found dead in Walthamstow on May 30, 2009.
The 26-year-old man was arrested by Indian authorities at New Delhi airport over the murder and three other sexual assaults.
The Metropolitan Police will now be seeking the man’s extradition to the UK.
Michelle, 35, had been strangled and raped as she returned to her boyfriend’s address after stopping by at a nearby supermarket.
Her body was found in a small park and play area along Queens Road.
Detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command had linked three other assaults in the area.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on