Make-shift ‘shack’ cause for concern in Green Lane, Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Outreach workers have appealed for a homeless man believed to be living in a make-shift “shanty” house to contact them.
Residents have been puzzled after the structure appeared in Green Lane, Ilford, at the junction with South Park Road.
Now Redbridge Council and homeless charities have urged the man to seek help, saying he was not known to them.
Ursula Standen, volunteer co-ordinator at the Welcome Centre in St Mary’s Road, Ilford, said: “The outreach workers have gone out to try and find him, but there’s been nobody there.
“He’s on our radar but he’s not one of our clients – he’s not somebody that’s known to us. It’s a question of somebody finding him.”
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman said: “Our outreach services have visited and no one has been at the site. Our visits will continue so more information can be obtained and a way forward looked into.”
A sign on the structure reads: “This stuff belongs to a homeless person, please don’t remove. Thanking you in anticipation.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 4 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 7 Inquest into murdered nursing student fails to establish cause of death
- 8 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
The “shack” is attached to a car – filled with boxes and household items – and is believed to be used as storage.
The set-up is complete with green and orange flags attached to a stick at the front of it.
Tony Hoad, of the South Park Users Group, said residents were “concerned”.
He said: “It shouldn’t be here – it’s a shanty shack on a main road in Ilford – it’s worrying.”
Have you seen the man? Email firstname.lastname@example.org