‘Love and support’ eases funding woes for Ilford’s Kenneth More Theatre
A theatre manager says the “love and support” of actors and audience members who attended a fundraising show means its future is looking bright.
The Kenneth More Theatre in Oakfield Road, Ilford, put on two performances of the musical Nine on Saturday and raised more than �14,000 to help plug a �20,000 gap left by a cut to its 2011-12 grant from Redbridge Council.
Theatre-goers turned out in force on the day, almost selling out the 358-seat venue on both occasions and manager Steven Day thanked them for their “overwhelming” support.
He said: “The concerts were absolutely amazing and we haven’t got a final figure yet, but we have raised more than �14,000 so far.
“We were 50 tickets off two sold-out houses and even those who couldn’t make it were donating.”
You may also want to watch:
The more than 100-strong cast offered their services for free as a favour to Mr Day, who only had a few days to put the show together.
Mr Day added the theatre was booked up until the end of next year.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 5 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder