Lorry blaze tackled in Ilford town centre
A lorry fire has brought much of Ilford town centre to a standstill.
Firefighters from Ilford Fire Station brought the blaze next to the roundabout in Winston Way under control by 5.00pm this evening and the road was closed by police as fire fighters moved the burnt out vehicle to the side of the road.
Bus route numbers 145 and 86 were affected as rush hour traffic backed up around High Road.
Witness Chris Harvey, 32, of Stradbrooke Grove, Barkingside, said: “The engine and the cab were completely burnt out, and the traffic is completely stuck.
“I knew it was big because I saw the smoke from a long way away.”
Fire fighters were called at 4.40pm, and it took them some 20 minutes to get the flames under control.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 7 TfL welcomes RMT decision to suspend first round of strike action
- 8 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 9 Votes set to be cast for borough's next youth parliament members
- 10 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL