Lorry blaze tackled in Ilford town centre
A lorry fire has brought much of Ilford town centre to a standstill.
Firefighters from Ilford Fire Station brought the blaze next to the roundabout in Winston Way under control by 5.00pm this evening and the road was closed by police as fire fighters moved the burnt out vehicle to the side of the road.
Bus route numbers 145 and 86 were affected as rush hour traffic backed up around High Road.
Witness Chris Harvey, 32, of Stradbrooke Grove, Barkingside, said: “The engine and the cab were completely burnt out, and the traffic is completely stuck.
“I knew it was big because I saw the smoke from a long way away.”
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters were called at 4.40pm, and it took them some 20 minutes to get the flames under control.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash