London riots: ‘We will arrest hundreds’ - Redbridge police chief
“Hundreds” of people in Redbridge will be arrested in connection with this week’s looting and violence across the borough, a police chief has pledged.
Borough commander Det Ch Insp Sue Williams said CCTV cameras had captured most of the acts of criminality seen in Ilford, Newbury Park, Hainault, Barkingside, Woodford Green and South Woodford on Monday and Tuesday.
So far, 44 people have been arrested in Redbridge and 15 charged with a total of 26 offences.
Mrs Williams told the Recorder: “This is the first wave of arrests.
“There are hundreds we will catch.”
You may also want to watch:
She said one business was looted by 20 suspects all captured on CCTV who she pledged to track down and “bring to justice”.
There have been no reports of looting or violence in the borough since the early hours of Tuesday morning, with police maintaining a strong presence across the borough.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence