London riots: ‘We will arrest hundreds’ - Redbridge police chief
“Hundreds” of people in Redbridge will be arrested in connection with this week’s looting and violence across the borough, a police chief has pledged.
Borough commander Det Ch Insp Sue Williams said CCTV cameras had captured most of the acts of criminality seen in Ilford, Newbury Park, Hainault, Barkingside, Woodford Green and South Woodford on Monday and Tuesday.
So far, 44 people have been arrested in Redbridge and 15 charged with a total of 26 offences.
Mrs Williams told the Recorder: “This is the first wave of arrests.
“There are hundreds we will catch.”
You may also want to watch:
She said one business was looted by 20 suspects all captured on CCTV who she pledged to track down and “bring to justice”.
There have been no reports of looting or violence in the borough since the early hours of Tuesday morning, with police maintaining a strong presence across the borough.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 4 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 7 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath