London riots: ‘We will arrest hundreds’ - Redbridge police chief
“Hundreds” of people in Redbridge will be arrested in connection with this week’s looting and violence across the borough, a police chief has pledged.
Borough commander Det Ch Insp Sue Williams said CCTV cameras had captured most of the acts of criminality seen in Ilford, Newbury Park, Hainault, Barkingside, Woodford Green and South Woodford on Monday and Tuesday.
So far, 44 people have been arrested in Redbridge and 15 charged with a total of 26 offences.
Mrs Williams told the Recorder: “This is the first wave of arrests.
“There are hundreds we will catch.”
You may also want to watch:
She said one business was looted by 20 suspects all captured on CCTV who she pledged to track down and “bring to justice”.
There have been no reports of looting or violence in the borough since the early hours of Tuesday morning, with police maintaining a strong presence across the borough.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder