London riots: Majority of Redbridge vandals unemployed, live in borough
More than half of the 44 people in Redbridge who have so far been arrested for looting and vandalism seen across the borough on Monday and Tuesday are unemployed.
Borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams revealed the figure during a meeting last night of the Redbridge Safer Communities Partnership in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
She said 57 per cent of those who have been arrested in the borough are unemployed, while 95 per cent are men.
Mrs Williams also revealed that the majority, 63 per cent, live in the borough and 36 per cent of the 44 arrested are under 18.
Only two per cent are under 16.
You may also want to watch:
Fifteen people have been charged with a total of 26 offences including violent disorder and burglary.
Mrs Williams said “hundreds more” will be arrested following outbreaks of looting and vandalism across Redbridge on Monday and in the early hours of Tuesday.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 8 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 9 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath