London riots: Majority of Redbridge vandals unemployed, live in borough
More than half of the 44 people in Redbridge who have so far been arrested for looting and vandalism seen across the borough on Monday and Tuesday are unemployed.
Borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams revealed the figure during a meeting last night of the Redbridge Safer Communities Partnership in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
She said 57 per cent of those who have been arrested in the borough are unemployed, while 95 per cent are men.
Mrs Williams also revealed that the majority, 63 per cent, live in the borough and 36 per cent of the 44 arrested are under 18.
Only two per cent are under 16.
You may also want to watch:
Fifteen people have been charged with a total of 26 offences including violent disorder and burglary.
Mrs Williams said “hundreds more” will be arrested following outbreaks of looting and vandalism across Redbridge on Monday and in the early hours of Tuesday.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 5 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London