London Riots: Ilford empties as shops close early
Shops have closed early in Ilford Town Centre and workers told to go home after looters smashed their way in to two mobile phone shops this morning.
Virgin Media and T-Mobile, both in High Road, were targeted at about 2am this morning.
A JD Sports in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, was also reportedly broken in to at about the same time.
The break-ins happened as thugs across the capital struck, including in Enfield and Brixton.
Exchange Ilford general manager Marc Myers told the Recorder this afternoon the town centre was “on alert”.
You may also want to watch:
More than 15 police officers have been seen patrolling the area.
Shops including Vodafone, Virgin Media, Carphone Warehouse, Monsoon, Card Factory, Miss Selfridge and Dorothy Perkins have all closed early.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Argos, Boots and Primark have closed a number of their shutters but remain open to customers.
A police officer at the scene told the Recorder: “We don’t have any specific intelligence at the moment, but we’re taking precautions.”