London riots: Chadwell heath man in court over Malaysian student attack
A suspected rioter accused of robbing a Malaysian student while pretending to help him will face a crown court trial.
Reece Donovan, 21, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, was charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from Ashraf Hasiq Rossli’s backpack while the student was still reeling with a broken jaw inflicted by another man.
In an earlier incident, the accountancy student had been punched in the face and had his bicycle stolen by a 100-strong mob in Queen’s Road, Barking.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student on August 8 has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched almost three million times on YouTube.
Mr Donovan did not enter a plea as he appeared before City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
District judge Howard Riddle remanded Donovan in custody to appear at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP