London Marathon 2014: Ilford woman running for hospice that cared for mum
- Credit: Archant
A woman is running her first London Marathon to raise money for the hospice that cared for her mother before she died.
Claire Mahoney, of Ilford, has already raised more than £2,400 for Saint Francis Hospice.
She said: “I wanted to do something special in memory of my mum and to show my appreciation for the charity.”
Her mum Geraldine, from Gants Hill, attended the hospice’s day therapy unit and received care as an inpatient before she died of ovarian cancer in March 2011.
Legal secretary Claire, 23, said it was “very difficult and upsetting” to see her condition deteriorate knowing nothing could be done but the hospice allowed her respect and comfort.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “The medical team tried to alleviate any pain and they listened to my mum and what she wanted, which was reassuring as it was important to be able to feel as though we were doing the very best for her.”
Claire has been training three times a week and finished the Brentwood Half Marathon in two hours and 16 minutes last month.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
She said: “Training has been tough at times, but there’s nothing more motivating than knowing it’s for such a brilliant cause.
“The marathon is going to be an emotional day for me, but I’m also excited about it.”
Sponsor Claire at www.justgiving.com/Claire-Mahoney1.