London boroughs to receive Covid Winter Grant Scheme funding boost
- Credit: Kirsty O'Connor/PA
London councils are to receive an extra £9.5million under the Covid Winter Grant Scheme, it has been announced.
This will be added to each council's allocation, previously set according to a decided share of the initial £170m pot set aside in England.
That first injection was intended to last until this month, with this latest boost intended for the two-week Easter period (until April 16).
As with the initial allocation, Newham and Tower Hamlets will benefit most from the boost, receiving £470,772 and £418,230 respectively (to add to the £1m-plus each received previously).
Barking and Dagenham is set to receive £302,480, while Havering and Redbridge will get £231,087 and £274,259 each.
You may also want to watch:
Though 80 per cent of the funding is ringfenced for food, energy and water bills, councils can choose how they deliver that support. The remaining 20pc is available for other associated costs.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash