London 2012 Olympic Games furniture donated to Redbridge charities
Two community groups in Redbridge will receive furniture from London 2012 donated by sponsors ArcelorMittal.
The East London Community Foundation (ELCF), a charity that distributes small grants to community groups, were given more than 100 items used during the Olympic Games in the hospitality suite at the Renaissance St Pancras Hotel in Kings Cross.
Also responsible for the red ArcelorMittal Orbit tower in the Olympic Park. the global steel and mining company made an additional cash donation of almost �2,000 to the ELCF’s East London Legacy 2012 Fund to support future grants for small, local, and voluntary groups.
Friends of One North East, a charity in The Broadway, Woodford Green supporting those recovering from substance abuse, collected five tables and 20 chairs to use in their therapy groups.
On behalf of the charity, Jo Blackledge said: “The new tables and chairs are beautiful. Some of the rooms have recently been decorated and the new furniture compliments the decorations adding a warmth and elegance to the therapy rooms.”
You may also want to watch:
The Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London (RAMFEL), a charity in High Road, Ilford, said they will give the furniture to people who have recently arrived in Britain with very little such as Mary, a 68-year-old who fled political persecution in Gambia.
Director Rita Chadha said: “The furniture will make Mary feel that bit more comfortable and settled and offer her an opportunity to experience the generous side of the British personality.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford