Woodford Green cab drivers get �5k to take sick children to Disneyland
Black cab drivers are celebrating after winning thousands of pounds to take children with life-limiting illnesses on the trip of a lifetime.
The Worshipful Company for Hackney Carriage Drivers, Johnston Road, Woodford Green, has been handed �5,000 by Lloyds Banking Group Community Fund, which will enable four more families to take part in next year’s Magical Taxi Tour to Disneyland Paris.
The charity beat off stiff competition from community groups to land the prize after topping a public vote.
With 2013 marking the scheme’s 20th anniversary, organising committee chairman Phil Davies said: “For every �1,250 we receive we can take another child and their family to Paris so this donation will pay for four more families to join us next year.
“They couldn’t do this on their own because they wouldn’t have the medical support we provide, so the families get to relax as they know we are there to care for their child.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyds Banking Group has provided funding to 132 organisations around the UK through its Community Fund in 2012. To find out more visit www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/community.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'