Woodford Green cab drivers get �5k to take sick children to Disneyland
Black cab drivers are celebrating after winning thousands of pounds to take children with life-limiting illnesses on the trip of a lifetime.
The Worshipful Company for Hackney Carriage Drivers, Johnston Road, Woodford Green, has been handed �5,000 by Lloyds Banking Group Community Fund, which will enable four more families to take part in next year’s Magical Taxi Tour to Disneyland Paris.
The charity beat off stiff competition from community groups to land the prize after topping a public vote.
With 2013 marking the scheme’s 20th anniversary, organising committee chairman Phil Davies said: “For every �1,250 we receive we can take another child and their family to Paris so this donation will pay for four more families to join us next year.
“They couldn’t do this on their own because they wouldn’t have the medical support we provide, so the families get to relax as they know we are there to care for their child.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyds Banking Group has provided funding to 132 organisations around the UK through its Community Fund in 2012. To find out more visit www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/community.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 6 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week