Woodford Green cab drivers get �5k to take sick children to Disneyland
Black cab drivers are celebrating after winning thousands of pounds to take children with life-limiting illnesses on the trip of a lifetime.
The Worshipful Company for Hackney Carriage Drivers, Johnston Road, Woodford Green, has been handed �5,000 by Lloyds Banking Group Community Fund, which will enable four more families to take part in next year’s Magical Taxi Tour to Disneyland Paris.
The charity beat off stiff competition from community groups to land the prize after topping a public vote.
With 2013 marking the scheme’s 20th anniversary, organising committee chairman Phil Davies said: “For every �1,250 we receive we can take another child and their family to Paris so this donation will pay for four more families to join us next year.
“They couldn’t do this on their own because they wouldn’t have the medical support we provide, so the families get to relax as they know we are there to care for their child.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyds Banking Group has provided funding to 132 organisations around the UK through its Community Fund in 2012. To find out more visit www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/community.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 5 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 6 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 7 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 8 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 9 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home