Woodford Green cab drivers get �5k to take sick children to Disneyland
Black cab drivers are celebrating after winning thousands of pounds to take children with life-limiting illnesses on the trip of a lifetime.
The Worshipful Company for Hackney Carriage Drivers, Johnston Road, Woodford Green, has been handed �5,000 by Lloyds Banking Group Community Fund, which will enable four more families to take part in next year’s Magical Taxi Tour to Disneyland Paris.
The charity beat off stiff competition from community groups to land the prize after topping a public vote.
With 2013 marking the scheme’s 20th anniversary, organising committee chairman Phil Davies said: “For every �1,250 we receive we can take another child and their family to Paris so this donation will pay for four more families to join us next year.
“They couldn’t do this on their own because they wouldn’t have the medical support we provide, so the families get to relax as they know we are there to care for their child.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyds Banking Group has provided funding to 132 organisations around the UK through its Community Fund in 2012. To find out more visit www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/community.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 9 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence