Wes Streeting MP gives maiden speech in House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has made his maiden speech in the House of Commons – with an impassioned plea for the UK to stay in Europe.
Yesterday, the Labour MP spoke in parliament to support Britain’s membership of the EU and call for votes at 16.
“On the big issues of our age – eradicating poverty and inequality, tackling climate change, and safeguarding the security of every citizen – nation states are no longer able to triumph by acting alone,” he said. “We should be leading Europe, not leaving Europe.
“For as long as I continue to enjoy this privilege I will fight for a future in which power, wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many, not the few. Every day that I arrive in this place I will never forget who sent me here and I will be relentless in campaigning to serve their interests.”
Mr Streeting also said predecessor Lee Scott was “characteristically affable in the campaign and gracious in defeat”.
You may also want to watch:
“His service to the people of Ilford North and the London Borough of Redbridge more widely, both as a Member of this House and a local councillor is rightly both recognised and celebrated,” he added.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 6 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 9 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 10 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha