Wes Streeting MP gives maiden speech in House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has made his maiden speech in the House of Commons – with an impassioned plea for the UK to stay in Europe.
Yesterday, the Labour MP spoke in parliament to support Britain’s membership of the EU and call for votes at 16.
“On the big issues of our age – eradicating poverty and inequality, tackling climate change, and safeguarding the security of every citizen – nation states are no longer able to triumph by acting alone,” he said. “We should be leading Europe, not leaving Europe.
“For as long as I continue to enjoy this privilege I will fight for a future in which power, wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many, not the few. Every day that I arrive in this place I will never forget who sent me here and I will be relentless in campaigning to serve their interests.”
Mr Streeting also said predecessor Lee Scott was “characteristically affable in the campaign and gracious in defeat”.
You may also want to watch:
“His service to the people of Ilford North and the London Borough of Redbridge more widely, both as a Member of this House and a local councillor is rightly both recognised and celebrated,” he added.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 4 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 7 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath