Wanstead fireworks fizzle out after Newham Council cancels event because of ‘soggy’ ground
Hundreds of people hoping to see a firework spectacular on Wanstead flats last night were disappointed when the display was cancelled at the last minute.
Organisers Newham Council announced that the free display would not be running on Twitter at 12.30pm yesterday.
The evening had promised fireworks set to an Olympics-inspired and a laser show.
A Newham Council spokesman said the event was cancelled because of “adverse weather conditions”.
A statement said: “Heavy overnight rain has made conditions at the site in Wanstead Flats very soggy underfoot.
“With the forecast of more rain during the day, the council has taken the decision to cancel at the earliest opportunity to prevent people travelling to the display.
“We apologise for the late notice but hope people will understand the reason. While it is disappointing, safety has to be our main concern.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
“We are optimistic that we may be able to rearrange the display on another date.”