View from the House - MP Mike Gapes: ‘prosperity of Britain depends on free movement of EU workers’
A BBC programme last week highlighted the terrible plight of a few destitute, marginalised individuals living in Ilford.
There is another story to be told, that of thousands of hardworking Ilford people. First, second or third generation immigrants struggling hard to do their best for their families and society, faced with rising bills and falling real wages, job insecurity and lack of affordable homes.
But in the current hysteria about European migration those issues do not receive the same prominence in national newspapers or the BBC.
Our NHS has always depended on recruiting staff from other countries. In Parliament last week I pointed out that Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust has just eight consultants in post out of an establishment of 21 to cover both A&E departments at Queen’s and King George hospitals. Their own report published in December says “the heavy reliance on locum staff is putting patients at risk of receiving suboptimal care. Joint work with other trusts has not achieved the desired results and additional work is under way, including recruiting staff from overseas.”
We do need action to stop immigrants being exploited by stronger enforcement of the minimum wage, tougher measures by councils against “beds in sheds” and prosecution of “cash in hand” employers.
You may also want to watch:
Over a million British people live and work in other EU countries and receive benefits, health, education and other public services there. The prosperity of our country and the continuation of the single market depends on free movement of workers within the EU.
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 10 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green