View from the House: Mike Gapes on Brexit
- Credit: Archant
The people of Ilford and of the UK did not vote for Theresa May’s version of Brexit. That’s why I voted against Article 50.
As soon as we pass Article 50 we are on an escalator that leads to leaving the European Union within two years and I do not think adequate preparation has been made.
As far as I know there is no way to get off that escalator.
I understand other MPs have taken different approaches to Brexit, and Wes and I have made different judgements about preventing the problems we see being caused by leaving the EU.
I have many friends who voted to trigger Article 50, and we are not personally
You may also want to watch:
falling out over it.
Now we need to work together to get the best deal possible for the entire UK.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust