UPDATE: Decision due at 1pm on Redbridge hospital’s future
A statement on the future of the A&E and labour ward at King George Hospital is due at around 1pm today.
Secretary of state for health Andrew Lansley has been reviewing the proposals to close both services at the hospital in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, since late July.
The independent reconfiguration panel, a group of people with varying expertise in healthcare, produced a report for Mr Lansley on the planned changes to help him make a final ruling.
The services closures, first presented by Health for North East London in their current guise in late 2009, has sparked a large and vocal campaign which has included a petition with more than 30,000 names being presented in Parliament.
People have also walked the streets of Redbridge to express their opposition to the planned ward closures.
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder will bring you the content of the statement as soon as it is released, so keep checking our website for updates on this as well as the CQC’s “devastating” report into care provided by Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation