Trolls celebrate Ilford South MP Mike Gapes being rushed to hospital for emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Labour MP Mike Gapes – who was taken to hospital on Friday night with chest pains – has been targeted by trolls on social media.
One Twitter user, going under the pseudonym Rosalia Luxenburg, actually celebrated the Ilford South MP’s predicament: “Let’s hope a few more end up like Mike Gapes.”
Ilford North MP and friend of Mr Gapes Wes Streeting told the Recorder he found it “deeply upsetting” and added there was a “disturbing undercurrent in the Labour party at the moment”.
The Recorder broke the news yesterday that the Ilford South MP had been rushed to hospital on Friday night with chest pains, and had emergency surgery in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Mr Gapes’ office said he was now “recovering”.
You may also want to watch:
The 63-year-old got many messages of support from all across the political spectrum, however became the target of abuse from trolls for his public backing of bombing Islamic State in Syria.
When a Labour member asked a troll, named Storm Warner, if they wished Mr Gapes ill, they responded: “I wish him everything he wishes for others. Whatever that may be..?”
- 1 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 2 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 3 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 4 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 5 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 8 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 9 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
On Twitter it states Storm Warner in a Scottish National Party supporter.
Responding to Mr Streeting’s post about Mr Gapes on his Facebook page, Mike Hemmings said: “Maybe it’s better if he resigns as MP then, after all Gapes is just another #RedTory. At least he wont be there to vote for air strikes on Syria.”
The Ilford North MP said: “On a personal level I found it deeply upsetting.
“From the point of view of the people of Redbridge they would be disgusted.
“I think there is a disturbing undercurrent in the Labour party at the moment.”
The Ilford North MP, who is also a Redbridge councillor, continued: “What’s really shone through has been the outpouring of support and affection from all political parties and hard working people who will be absolutely disgusted to see Mike treated this way.
“It’s just as well they’ve taken his iPad off him in hospital or he’d be getting stuck into these people.”
Mr Gapes, a life long West Ham fan, has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, securing 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
He suffered tragedy in 2012 when his 19-year-old daughter Rebecca died in her room at university, of a rare condition sudden adult death syndrome.