South Woodford post office to stay open
- Credit: Archant
The South Woodford post office will be staying open!
Threatened with closure since last year, the office in George Lane has been granted a last minute repreive.
Thanks to the efforts of customers, unions and politicians, the Post Office has confirmed its future for now.
In 2017, it was proposed by the company to close the office, which would have left South Woodford without a large post office and its range of services.
In November 2017, residents started a campaign to save the branch and almost 2,000 people signed a petition to keep it open.
You may also want to watch:
MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, Iain Duncan Smith organised a debate on the matter in Parliament, negotiating with Post Office managers to keep the branch open.
It was announced on Wednesday (June 6) that the post office will remain open at its current location.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
The decision may be up for review in the future but for now it is safe.
Iain Duncan Smith said: “I am very pleased with the decision.
“This was a very important issue for many of my constituents and I was keen to support the campaign, both locally and in Westminster.”