South Woodford post office to stay open
- Credit: Archant
The South Woodford post office will be staying open!
Threatened with closure since last year, the office in George Lane has been granted a last minute repreive.
Thanks to the efforts of customers, unions and politicians, the Post Office has confirmed its future for now.
In 2017, it was proposed by the company to close the office, which would have left South Woodford without a large post office and its range of services.
In November 2017, residents started a campaign to save the branch and almost 2,000 people signed a petition to keep it open.
MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, Iain Duncan Smith organised a debate on the matter in Parliament, negotiating with Post Office managers to keep the branch open.
It was announced on Wednesday (June 6) that the post office will remain open at its current location.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 3 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 4 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 5 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 6 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 9 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
The decision may be up for review in the future but for now it is safe.
Iain Duncan Smith said: “I am very pleased with the decision.
“This was a very important issue for many of my constituents and I was keen to support the campaign, both locally and in Westminster.”