South Woodford post office to stay open
- Credit: Archant
The South Woodford post office will be staying open!
Threatened with closure since last year, the office in George Lane has been granted a last minute repreive.
Thanks to the efforts of customers, unions and politicians, the Post Office has confirmed its future for now.
In 2017, it was proposed by the company to close the office, which would have left South Woodford without a large post office and its range of services.
In November 2017, residents started a campaign to save the branch and almost 2,000 people signed a petition to keep it open.
MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, Iain Duncan Smith organised a debate on the matter in Parliament, negotiating with Post Office managers to keep the branch open.
It was announced on Wednesday (June 6) that the post office will remain open at its current location.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 'There was no life without resistance': World War Two veteran dies aged 94
- 6 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 7 Bus timetable change to 'better align' with hospital shifts
- 8 Dog units 'really good tool' to help police tackle violent crime, officers say
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Ex football boss sets up fans club to increase diversity at England games
The decision may be up for review in the future but for now it is safe.
Iain Duncan Smith said: “I am very pleased with the decision.
“This was a very important issue for many of my constituents and I was keen to support the campaign, both locally and in Westminster.”