South Woodford post office to stay open
- Credit: Archant
The South Woodford post office will be staying open!
Threatened with closure since last year, the office in George Lane has been granted a last minute repreive.
Thanks to the efforts of customers, unions and politicians, the Post Office has confirmed its future for now.
In 2017, it was proposed by the company to close the office, which would have left South Woodford without a large post office and its range of services.
In November 2017, residents started a campaign to save the branch and almost 2,000 people signed a petition to keep it open.
You may also want to watch:
MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, Iain Duncan Smith organised a debate on the matter in Parliament, negotiating with Post Office managers to keep the branch open.
It was announced on Wednesday (June 6) that the post office will remain open at its current location.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
The decision may be up for review in the future but for now it is safe.
Iain Duncan Smith said: “I am very pleased with the decision.
“This was a very important issue for many of my constituents and I was keen to support the campaign, both locally and in Westminster.”