‘Shame on you’ – public air opinions on Oakfield site at council meeting
- Credit: Archant
Members of the public shouted from the public gallery at yesterday’s council meeting after councillors could not guarantee that a playing field would be protected from development.
Questions were put to the council by the public about the Oakfield playing fields in Forest Road, Barkingside, before someone shouted “shame on you” following Cllr Helen Coomb’s response.
Oakfield users’ questions covered concerns about the loss of the playing field and the strain on services and on air pollution if it were to be developed for housing use.
Cllr Coomb said 145 brownfield sites had been identified as part of the local plan but admitted brownfield sites alone wouldn’t meet the housing need in Redbridge.
She said all reasonable options to increase housing supply in Redbridge had to be looked at.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy council leader Cllr Wes Streeting stressed that no decision to build on Oakfield had been made and that it would be subject to a public consultation.
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 3 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 8 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 9 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 10 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions