Roads in Redbridge to close to make play space for children under council pilot scheme
- Credit: Archant
Traffic on some roads is set to be halted for a few hours a day to allow children in the borough space to play near their homes as Redbridge Council pilot a new scheme.
The council has invited families to sign up to a trial of its new Play Streets programme.
Under the scheme, residents are encouraged to close off their streets to traffic for a few hours either weekly or monthly, so children can play more safely and neighbours can come together.
The scheme will be run by residents themselves and it is hoped the idea will make Redbridge streets friendlier and more fun for everyone.
If you would like to run a play street on or after Monday July 30, you must submit an application via the council’s website by Sunday June 24.
You must be able to prove local residents and businesses are in support of your play street and to do this the council have provided a simple form for affected residents to sign.
You may also want to watch:
This must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday July 2 at the latest.
The council will be working with a number of partners to deliver the scheme and is trying to assess whether there is an appetite for the idea across the borough.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 10 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
Resources will be allocated to the scheme according to the response the council get from residents.
Applications to take part in the scheme close on June 24.