Residents’ fears over development in south of Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners are calling for further consultation on the council’s draft Local Plan following concerns over its impact on the south of the borough.
The newly-formed Neighbour-hoods of Ilford South Engage (Noise), which is concerned about over-development in the area, has launched a petition and is calling on Redbridge Council to hold a public meeting.
The group, set up by Meenakshi Sharma, Stephen Tully and Ilona King, is worried about the amount of proposed development falling within IG1, IG2 and IG3 post codes.
A statement from Noise read: “We, the residents of Ilford South, want more consultation about this plan as we do not believe that, in any meaningful way, we have been consulted about it, when it will affect us the most.”
It said people were concerned about amenities and infrastructure in the area and affordability of proposed homes.
You may also want to watch:
The statement continued: “Ideally we want this meeting before the council meeting on July 21 to make our involvement at that meeting an informed and meaningful one.”
The call comes after the council outlined plans for 18,474 new homes in Redbridge by 2030.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
The draft Local Plan also acknowledges that a minimum of 32,000 new homes is needed to meet the borough’s housing targets.
Valentines ward’s Cllr Khayer Chowdhury said he put in requests to council officers in the hopes of arranging a public meeting.
“The council has strictly followed all statutory guidelines but if residents feel like they haven’t been consulted enough, that’s fine,” said the Labour councillor.
“We’re prepared to speak to officers in the council and see if it’s possible to arrange a public meeting, bearing in mind how much time we have got left.
“I’m still waiting to hear back.”
A council spokesman insisted there would be further consultation even if the Local Plan is agreed at the next full council meeting.
“We will ask all residents for their views as part of a formal statutory consultation which will take place and which is expected to last for six weeks,” he said.
“As part of the consultation, we will arrange a range of consultation events and documents will be made available in libraries.”