Residents call for action over litter in South Woodford road
Flytipping, litter, urinating “and worse” in George Lane have been raised by frustrated residents to Church End councillors.
Joel Herga, 23, of Horn Lane, speaking in the public forum part of the Area Two Committee meeting, called for Cllr Richard Hoskins (Lib Dem, Church End) and Cllr Hugh Cleaver (Lib Dem, Church End) to take stronger action.
He said: “If there have been efforts, we have not seen them - we need to see them.”
Cllr Cleaver responded by insisting the Church End ward councillors were trying to resolve the issue of litter in the South Woodford road.
He said: “The nib of the problem is that it is private property. The businesses there do tend to produce a lot of rubbish and they show little interest in reducing it.
You may also want to watch:
“Unless the owners agree to change, there is not a lot we can do.
“Businesses are not interested unless they really have to.”
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Herga told the Recorder residents are keen for a wall to be put up to stop revellers littering in the road.
He also added: “I knew what response would come from the councillors. I knew that nothing has happened [to stop littering].”