Redbrige cabinet meeting: Singh Sabha lose lease to Goodmayes Park Extension and Tour de France trophy to visit borough
- Credit: Archant
Singh Sabha Football Club has lost the lease to Goodmayes Park Extension it was announced in last night’s meeting of Redbridge Council’s cabinet.
The lease was handed to the football club in July 2011 with the club saying it would improve the space for the community.
But disagreements over whether the council or Singh Sabha would cover the legal costs led the cabinet to reject the agreement, at the Redbridge Town Hall meeting.
Deputy leader of the council Cllr Ian Bond (Liberal Democrat, Roding) said: “We have tried very hard to deliver the agreement for the lease. It’s been an extremely long process and we’ve been patient.
“We have been getting nowhere in discussions with Singh Sabha and gave them a deadline of the end of January.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after the meeting, Richard Leighton, the chairman of the Friends of Goodmayes Park, said: “It’s very good news.”
It was also announced that the Tour de France trophy will be on display in Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, on Friday ahead of the grand tour’s visit to the borough on July 7.
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 5 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 6 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
The cabinet also announced that shops, restraints, cafes and drinking establishments will be offered “retail relief” of a £1,000 discount to business rates if they meet certain requirements.