Redbridge Strikes: Nearly every school to close
All but a handful of Redbridge schools will be closed tomorrow as teachers join public sector colleagues and strike over pensions reform.
Coppice Primary, Hainault and Aldborough E-Act Free School, Seven Kings will be the only two schools in the borough to remain fully open. Clore Tikva, Barkingside; St Antony’s Catholic, Woodford Green; Wanstead Church of England and Wells Primary School, Woodford Green will open to selected years only.
Some secondary schools hope to open for sixth-formers only, including Beal High, Redbridge; Hainault Forest High, Hainault and Woodbridge High, Woodford Green.
King Solomon High School, Barkingside will also open for Year 11 students, as will the Palmer Catholic Academy, Ilford.
Trinity Catholic High School headteacher Paul Doherty, a member of the National Association of Headteachers, says he will keep his school open for Years 7, 8 and 10.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “The council is committed to maintaining essential services on the day of strike action – particularly for the most vulnerable people who depend on public services most.
“However a third of non-teaching staff are union members, so it is likely that some services will be affected.”
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 5 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 6 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
Services at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes are also expected to be hit, with some non-urgent operations cancelled and services like physiotherapy and routine scans.
The Job Centre, High Road, Seven Kings is expected to cancel appointments throughout the day as staff picket outside the centre.
Redbridge Magistrates’ Courts, Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, will also run at limited capacity.
Strikers and there supporters will gather outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, at 11.30am to demonstrate against the changes to pensions against which they are so vehemently opposed.