Redbridge Strikes: Nearly every school to close
All but a handful of Redbridge schools will be closed tomorrow as teachers join public sector colleagues and strike over pensions reform.
Coppice Primary, Hainault and Aldborough E-Act Free School, Seven Kings will be the only two schools in the borough to remain fully open. Clore Tikva, Barkingside; St Antony’s Catholic, Woodford Green; Wanstead Church of England and Wells Primary School, Woodford Green will open to selected years only.
Some secondary schools hope to open for sixth-formers only, including Beal High, Redbridge; Hainault Forest High, Hainault and Woodbridge High, Woodford Green.
King Solomon High School, Barkingside will also open for Year 11 students, as will the Palmer Catholic Academy, Ilford.
Trinity Catholic High School headteacher Paul Doherty, a member of the National Association of Headteachers, says he will keep his school open for Years 7, 8 and 10.
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “The council is committed to maintaining essential services on the day of strike action – particularly for the most vulnerable people who depend on public services most.
“However a third of non-teaching staff are union members, so it is likely that some services will be affected.”
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Man with Woodford Green links wanted in connection with assault
- 3 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 4 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 5 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 6 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 7 Young Citizen: Teen nominated after revealing Covid fight to inspire jabs
- 8 Bus timetable change to 'better align' with hospital shifts
- 9 Almost 3,000 Barts Health hospital staff yet to have Covid jab, figures show
- 10 Votes set to be cast for borough's next youth parliament members
Services at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes are also expected to be hit, with some non-urgent operations cancelled and services like physiotherapy and routine scans.
The Job Centre, High Road, Seven Kings is expected to cancel appointments throughout the day as staff picket outside the centre.
Redbridge Magistrates’ Courts, Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, will also run at limited capacity.
Strikers and there supporters will gather outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, at 11.30am to demonstrate against the changes to pensions against which they are so vehemently opposed.