Redbridge Strikes: Nearly every school to close
All but a handful of Redbridge schools will be closed tomorrow as teachers join public sector colleagues and strike over pensions reform.
Coppice Primary, Hainault and Aldborough E-Act Free School, Seven Kings will be the only two schools in the borough to remain fully open. Clore Tikva, Barkingside; St Antony’s Catholic, Woodford Green; Wanstead Church of England and Wells Primary School, Woodford Green will open to selected years only.
Some secondary schools hope to open for sixth-formers only, including Beal High, Redbridge; Hainault Forest High, Hainault and Woodbridge High, Woodford Green.
King Solomon High School, Barkingside will also open for Year 11 students, as will the Palmer Catholic Academy, Ilford.
Trinity Catholic High School headteacher Paul Doherty, a member of the National Association of Headteachers, says he will keep his school open for Years 7, 8 and 10.
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “The council is committed to maintaining essential services on the day of strike action – particularly for the most vulnerable people who depend on public services most.
“However a third of non-teaching staff are union members, so it is likely that some services will be affected.”
- 1 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 2 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 3 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 4 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 5 Community opposition to Hainault bank closure
- 6 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 9 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 10 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
Services at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes are also expected to be hit, with some non-urgent operations cancelled and services like physiotherapy and routine scans.
The Job Centre, High Road, Seven Kings is expected to cancel appointments throughout the day as staff picket outside the centre.
Redbridge Magistrates’ Courts, Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, will also run at limited capacity.
Strikers and there supporters will gather outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, at 11.30am to demonstrate against the changes to pensions against which they are so vehemently opposed.