Redbridge schools still need a “significant” cash injection despite the government announcing additional £1.3b funding
- Credit: Ilford North Conservatives
Despite the government pledging an additional £1.3billon for education, Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has said Redbridge schools will not get any “new money” and still need a “significant” cash injection.
Education secretary Justine Greening announced on Monday, July 17 that the extra funding would be disseminated over the course of two years and would provide a boost for “core school funding”.
She also unveiled plans for a new national funding forum – the algorithm used to work out how much each school around the UK receives from the government.
Mr Streeting told the Recorder that funding promised by Ms Greening is not additional funding but money taken from other sectors.
“The funding will come from ‘efficiencies’ in existing budgets instead – including raiding the capital funding pot that’s used to provide new school places in areas of high demand, like ours,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Local headteachers have been telling us for some time about the redundancies they are already being forced to make and how this is impacting the quality of education they can offer their students.
“The government should make a crystal clear commitment that no schools will lose out as a result of Treasury decisions or the imposition of the national funding formula - and stick to it.”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
Ms Greening said her plans will deliver the “biggest improvement to the school system for well over a decade” and together with teachers and schools across the country, she believes that her government can raise standards and give every child the best possible opportunities for the future.
“It will mean an increase in the basic amount that every pupil will get, protected funding for those with high needs and will ensure every local authority is in a position to give schools a cash increase through the new formula,” she explained.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the proposed changes to the national funding formula will result in an educational crisis.
“The implications are severe - we will lose teachers, standards risk dropping dramatically, special educational needs units will be impacted, school days could be shorter, extracurricular activities could become a thing of the past, and pupils will suffer,” he said.
“It is a kick in the teeth for everyone who has worked so hard in recent years to make London an international beacon for education, with a proven track record in supporting disadvantaged pupils.
“£1.3billion extra added to the core education budget over two years may sound like good news – but it is not new money and will come from existing budgets.”
The mayor said he wants young people to get the best possible start in life and residents need to work together to fight for a fairly funded school system that will work for generations to come.