Redbridge’s only public pool temporarily closed after leak
- Credit: Archant
The only swimming pool in the borough is out-of-order after a leak has forced the council to close it for at least a week.
Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre, in Barkingside High Street, Barkingside, suffered a leak under the pool on Tuesday.
Around 40cm of water flooded the plant room below causing a three-hour power cut and the fire brigade were called to drain the water out. Flooding caused damage to the electrical panels below.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said the leisure centre hopes to reopen the pool next Tuesday.
The gym and the studios at the leisure centre remain open despite this week’s leak.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed crews from Hainault and Ilford drained the water after being called to the centre at 5.42am.
He said: “There was water and a smell of burning in the basement plant room below.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
“We used a high volume pump to drain the room. The duty of care was left to the manager.”