Redbridge’s only public pool temporarily closed after leak
- Credit: Archant
The only swimming pool in the borough is out-of-order after a leak has forced the council to close it for at least a week.
Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre, in Barkingside High Street, Barkingside, suffered a leak under the pool on Tuesday.
Around 40cm of water flooded the plant room below causing a three-hour power cut and the fire brigade were called to drain the water out. Flooding caused damage to the electrical panels below.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said the leisure centre hopes to reopen the pool next Tuesday.
The gym and the studios at the leisure centre remain open despite this week’s leak.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed crews from Hainault and Ilford drained the water after being called to the centre at 5.42am.
He said: “There was water and a smell of burning in the basement plant room below.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
“We used a high volume pump to drain the room. The duty of care was left to the manager.”