Redbridge’s only public pool temporarily closed after leak
- Credit: Archant
The only swimming pool in the borough is out-of-order after a leak has forced the council to close it for at least a week.
Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre, in Barkingside High Street, Barkingside, suffered a leak under the pool on Tuesday.
Around 40cm of water flooded the plant room below causing a three-hour power cut and the fire brigade were called to drain the water out. Flooding caused damage to the electrical panels below.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said the leisure centre hopes to reopen the pool next Tuesday.
The gym and the studios at the leisure centre remain open despite this week’s leak.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed crews from Hainault and Ilford drained the water after being called to the centre at 5.42am.
He said: “There was water and a smell of burning in the basement plant room below.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 4 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 7 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
“We used a high volume pump to drain the room. The duty of care was left to the manager.”