Redbridge’s only public pool temporarily closed after leak
- Credit: Archant
The only swimming pool in the borough is out-of-order after a leak has forced the council to close it for at least a week.
Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre, in Barkingside High Street, Barkingside, suffered a leak under the pool on Tuesday.
Around 40cm of water flooded the plant room below causing a three-hour power cut and the fire brigade were called to drain the water out. Flooding caused damage to the electrical panels below.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said the leisure centre hopes to reopen the pool next Tuesday.
The gym and the studios at the leisure centre remain open despite this week’s leak.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed crews from Hainault and Ilford drained the water after being called to the centre at 5.42am.
He said: “There was water and a smell of burning in the basement plant room below.
- 1 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 2 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 3 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 4 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 5 Community opposition to Hainault bank closure
- 6 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 7 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 8 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
“We used a high volume pump to drain the room. The duty of care was left to the manager.”