Redbridge leader supports Labour Party plans for tougher rules on anti-Semitism comments
- Credit: Archant
Leader of the council Cllr Jas Athwal said he would welcome plans to change the Labour party rules and permanently ban anti-Semitic, Islamophobic and racist members.
Speaking to the Recorder, Cllr Athwal; “Prejudice, anti-Semitic or racist comments should never be permitted. The people with those views, we should take them out of the party – we have no space for them.
“We are citizens of the world first and everything else should come after that.
“The make-up of the Redbridge Labour party absolutely reflects the borough we live in and people should take the lead out of Redbridge Labour group,” he added.
This comes as local parties are set to vote on the change in the coming weeks following accusations that leader Jeremy Corbyn has been slow to act on anti-Semitism within the party.
You may also want to watch:
Under current rules, anyone who commits racist acts is suspended pending inquiries.
But a group of MPs, including Ilford North MP Wes Streeting, have argued for a change in the rules and make it easier to impose a lifetime ban on any members, who make anti-Semitic or Islamophobic comments.
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 10 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
Talking to the BBC, Mr Streeting said:” “We’ve now got a problem where too many of our Jewish members and people out there in the country think the Labour Party is apathetic to anti-Semitism and it isn’t a place for Jewish members.
“I think we’ve got to make sure that this party with its historic commitment to tackling all forms of prejudice including anti-Semitism is still a place for Jewish people.”
Cllr Athwal said Redbridge Labour group will most probably consider a motion to support the change of rule in the next coming months.