Redbridge heads to the polls in ‘nastiest’ campaign for Mayor of London
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge goes to the polls today to vote for the capital’s next mayor in what has been described by commentators as the “nastiest campaign in decades”.
Labour’s Sadiq Khan has been forced to defend claims his party has problems with anti-Semitism.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said lifelong Jewish supporters in the borough were being put off voting for Labour.
Conservative Zac Goldsmith was accused of attacking his rival based on his religion, with Redbridge faith groups criticising him last month for sending out leaflets targeted on ethnicity.
Both of the major candidates have visited the borough in the past week, seeing it as a key hurdle in the race for City Hall.
Unsure who to vote for? Read our hustings as all the main candidates answered questions on housing, crime and pollution.
Recorder reporters also interviewed the hopefuls when they visited Redbridge grilling them on everything from affordable housing in Ilford to the future of Oakfields Playing Fields. For all these articles see the links below.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
Residents will also have to choose their representative for Havering and Redbridge in the London Assembly.
Cllr Keith Prince will be hoping to hold onto Roger Evans’ seat for the Tories, with Labour’s Ivana Bartoletti his main challenger.
Keep up to date with the latest news and results on our website.