Redbridge heads to the polls in ‘nastiest’ campaign for Mayor of London
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge goes to the polls today to vote for the capital’s next mayor in what has been described by commentators as the “nastiest campaign in decades”.
Labour’s Sadiq Khan has been forced to defend claims his party has problems with anti-Semitism.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said lifelong Jewish supporters in the borough were being put off voting for Labour.
Conservative Zac Goldsmith was accused of attacking his rival based on his religion, with Redbridge faith groups criticising him last month for sending out leaflets targeted on ethnicity.
Both of the major candidates have visited the borough in the past week, seeing it as a key hurdle in the race for City Hall.
You may also want to watch:
Unsure who to vote for? Read our hustings as all the main candidates answered questions on housing, crime and pollution.
Recorder reporters also interviewed the hopefuls when they visited Redbridge grilling them on everything from affordable housing in Ilford to the future of Oakfields Playing Fields. For all these articles see the links below.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 6 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
Residents will also have to choose their representative for Havering and Redbridge in the London Assembly.
Cllr Keith Prince will be hoping to hold onto Roger Evans’ seat for the Tories, with Labour’s Ivana Bartoletti his main challenger.
Keep up to date with the latest news and results on our website.