Redbridge heads to the polls in ‘nastiest’ campaign for Mayor of London
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge goes to the polls today to vote for the capital’s next mayor in what has been described by commentators as the “nastiest campaign in decades”.
Labour’s Sadiq Khan has been forced to defend claims his party has problems with anti-Semitism.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said lifelong Jewish supporters in the borough were being put off voting for Labour.
Conservative Zac Goldsmith was accused of attacking his rival based on his religion, with Redbridge faith groups criticising him last month for sending out leaflets targeted on ethnicity.
Both of the major candidates have visited the borough in the past week, seeing it as a key hurdle in the race for City Hall.
You may also want to watch:
Unsure who to vote for? Read our hustings as all the main candidates answered questions on housing, crime and pollution.
Recorder reporters also interviewed the hopefuls when they visited Redbridge grilling them on everything from affordable housing in Ilford to the future of Oakfields Playing Fields. For all these articles see the links below.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
Residents will also have to choose their representative for Havering and Redbridge in the London Assembly.
Cllr Keith Prince will be hoping to hold onto Roger Evans’ seat for the Tories, with Labour’s Ivana Bartoletti his main challenger.
Keep up to date with the latest news and results on our website.