Redbridge drivers fined for parking in free bays
Drivers have been charged for parking in free bays after details of a council policy change were not passed on to traffic wardens.
Redbridge Council last month scrapped Sunday parking charges and reduced pay and display hours for all other days from 7am-7pm to 8.30am-6.30pm.
It was only in May that the Conservative/Liberal Democrat coalition had rolled out Sunday parking and longer pay and display hours across the borough.
But the changed encountered stiff opposition from drivers, so it was reversed on September 6.
Now Cllr Michelle Dunn, cabinet member for highways, has said she has “great sympathy” for drivers slapped with fines in error since that date, and hinted at refunds for those who appeal the tickets.
You may also want to watch:
It was only last week the council was made aware of a string of parking tickets incorrectly issued in the last month.
Cllr Dunn said: “We commenced the process to revoke the appropriate traffic management orders and officers instructed our contractor APCOA to take no enforcement action at the appropriate sites.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
“The process to revoke the appropriate order takes some time and unfortunately it appears that APCOA staff have accidentally issued a number of tickets to motorists.
“Permanent change over of machines will happen by October 14.
“The council would like to apologise to anybody affected and will of course deal sympathetically should any motorist wish to appeal against the issue of a ticket at these times.”
Signs have now been put on all parking meters stating the new parking rules.
The changes affect everywhere except Ilford Town Centre.
• If you believe you have been wrongly issued with a penalty charge notice due to the new enforcement times, please write to Parking Management, Informal PCN Challenges, PO BOX 750, Ilford, Essex, quoting the PCN number.