Redbridge councillor promises no further arts cuts
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Music School and Drama Centre will not face cuts when the budget for 2014/15 is decided, a Conservative councillor has said.
Speaking at yesterday’s full council meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, Cllr Kumar responded to several questions from the public gallery about whether Redbridge Music Service, in Fencepiece Road, Hainault, would have funding cuts.
Cllr Ashok Kumar (Con, Cranbrook), cabinet member for culture and leisure, said: “I note the concerns of our residents, clearly going forward the council has to make massive savings of tens of millions of pounds.
“The harsh reality is all our services both statutory and non-statutory will have to share the burden of these savings.”
“However, I am proposing that for 2014/15 neither the Music Service nor the Drama Centre will have to implement the savings currently planned in the budget for next year.”
You may also want to watch:
Redbridge Drama Centre, Churchfields, South Woodford, had faced annual cuts of £89,000 until now after a decision to reduce its funding in March 2012.
Mother-of-four Lynn Hammond, who has three children currently attending the Redbridge Music School, said after the meeting: “I was very surprised but delighted by the Cllr Kumar’s announcement that the 2014/15 budget would not be cut but will wait until I see the figures in back and white before I start celebrating.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 3 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 4 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 5 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Gants Hill care worker's daughter wins Bafta
- 8 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Counsellor offers group therapy for fellow parents grieving loss of child