Redbridge Council joins neighbouring councils in legal challenge against government
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Council has launched a legal challenge against the government demanding millions more in central funding.
The cash-strapped authority has joined other outer-London boroughs including Newham and Barking and Dagenham, in the unprecedented action, which could culminate in a judicial review.
But the timing of the challenge came under-fire from opposition councillors, with leader of Redbridge Conservatives Paul Canal branding it an “empty political gesture”.
Cllr Jas Athwal, leader of the Labour council, said it would be “completely mad” if it didn’t challenge the government.
“There are some very rich boroughs in central London. They are buying up housese in our borough, to give us the residents who are the most needy in terms of council services,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“The council doesn’t actually take that into account.”
He said the authority was pushing for an extra £6 million a year to cope with an estimated 15 per cent population increase over the next six years
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Inquest into murdered nursing student fails to establish cause of death
- 7 Ilford North MP questions home secretary over 'lost' police records
- 8 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
“We are confident that the counsel that we have actually employed is saying we have a damn good case,” added Cllr Athwal.
“The unfairness is just outrageous.”
And he said while the councils were targeting the incumbent government, he was confident a Labour-led government would listen to the boroughs’ case.
But opposition leader Cllr Canal claimed the challenge showed the council had “given up” on the election.
“[The council] should spend less time making empty political gestures during ‘purdah’ [pre-election period] and more time atoning for the sins of the last Labour Government,” he said. “Britain and Ilford North have still not forgiven them, as the ballot box will prove.”
Cllr Athwal insisted the timing of the challenge could not be altered as the process had already been started, with a deadline of April 30.
“You waste public money doing something again and again,” he added.