Redbridge Council has spent £100,000 this year on cleaning up Travellers camps
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Council has spent more than £100,000 on cleaning up rubbish left by Travellers this year, and is seeking a high court injunction to stop illegal encampments.
After the most recent eviction from Roding Valley Park, in Elmcroft Avenue, Wanstead, on Friday, council enforcement officers collected evidence of fly-tipping, other environmental crimes and general infringements.
The law prevents local authorities from evicting people from illegal encampments without following strict protocols, meaning the council’s hands have “been tied” when dealing with Travellers.
Council leader Cllr Jas Athwal, said: “This anti-social behaviour from a small number of very determined Travellers causes severe disruption for residents and costs the council significant amounts of money to take eviction action through the courts to remove unlawful encampments and to clear up the mess that’s left behind.
“This is money that we could be spending on the things that really matter to our residents.
You may also want to watch:
“In this year alone, the cost of clean-up is in excess of £100,000, with some sites costing up to £50,000 to clear because of fly-tipping including asbestos.”
Cllr Athwal said the council is taking precautions to protect green spaces including locking parks overnight and closing vehicle access during high-risk periods, however, on occasions, Travellers have illegally forced entry.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Chadwell Heath academy
- 3 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 4 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 5 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 6 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 9 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 10 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
“We work closely with the Metropolitan Police to evict the Travellers whenever they trespass and we have to be tough to ensure our residents’ way of life is preserved,” he added.
“I have therefore decided to seek evidence to take this issue to the high court with the aim of seeking a borough-wide injunction that prevents unlawful encampment in Redbridge.
“We are working to that effect and, subject to the evidence and expert legal advice, expect to take our case to the high court next year.”
The leader also said that he will be lobbying central government to give local authorities more powers to deal with illegal encampments.
A charity previously spoke to the Recorder about the need for “empathy and positive dialogue” when dealing with Travellers camping in the borough.
Redbridge Equalities and Community Council (RECC) said the increased presence in the borough shows the desperate need for more authorised sites for Travellers.