Redbridge Council earmarks £60million for investment
- Credit: Archant
The council has earmarked tens of millions pounds which could be borrowed for future investment projects in Redbridge.
The strategy and resources service committee passed recommendations which identified the potential to borrow £60m in order to invest at a committee meeting yesterday.
Opposition leader Cllr Paul Canal (Con, Bridge) questioned whether borrowing a total of £100m and leaving £60m unaccounted for was a good idea at the meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
Cabinet member for finance and support services Cllr Kam Rai (Lab, Goodmayes) said: “It’s not borrowing, it’s earmarking capital. It’s not actual borrowing.”
“We want to invest, we’re ready and willing to use that money – it could be for a composition of projects, each one will be assessed case by case.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Canal said: “I am not content on supporting this at this stage.”
The proposal will go to cabinet before it goes to budget council.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
Cabinet will meet on Tuesday at the town hall.