Redbridge CCG boss: Surgery at Loxford Polyclinic would only close as last resort
- Credit: Archant
A commissioning group has reassured patients at an under-fire surgery that it would only close as a “last resort”.
The comments from Redbridge Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)chairman Dr Anil Mehta come after the Care Quality Commission (CQC) rated The Practice Loxford at Loxford Polyclinic, Ilford Lane, Ilford, “inadequate”.
It placed the doctors’ surgery, which serves 15,000 patients, in special measures after finding services for older people and those with mental health issues were not fit for purpose.
Dr Mehta said: “We would like to make clear to people who use The Practice Loxford, that while the CQC does have powers to close a GP practice, this is a last resort.
“The inspections are meant to show where improvements are needed, and give practices a fair opportunity to change. The CQC will only close a practice if it consistently fails to improve and there are no other options.”
You may also want to watch:
The CQC report highlighted the surgery’s “consistently below average” patient satisfaction scores for care and patient involvement and issues with its appointment booking system.
“Redbridge CCG will work closely with any practice that is struggling, to help it raise its standards,” said Dr Mehta.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 6 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
“For example by helping it find training for staff or bid for funding to improve its premises. In more extreme circumstances, we have the power to give notice on a GP’s contract and bring in new doctors to run a practice.
“We will monitor this practice monthly to be sure its improvement plan is on track. We are committed to ensuring every person in Redbridge has fair access to a good quality, local, family doctor, and we would like to reassure patients that the local NHS will do everything in our power to safeguard GP services for the people of Loxford.”