Primary school on site of former Ilford swimming pool given go-ahead
Permission has been granted for a new school to be built on the site of a former swimming pool in Ilford.
The Department of Education has approved plans for the Isaac Newton Primary Academy on the Cricklefields site between High Road and Green Lane.
As the Recorder reported last month the school, which will create 630 primary school places, will mean the Ilford Public Baths in High Road will be knocked down.
Cllr Alan Weinberg, cabinet member for children’s services, said: “This is great news for the borough.
“It is no secret that Redbridge along with many other boroughs is facing a massive pressure at both primary and secondary school level.”
You may also want to watch:
The new school will have three forms of entry and will be open in September 2014.
Cllr Weinberg added: “We are committed to providing an excellent education for all of the young people who wish to go to school in Redbridge and this is another step which will help us to continue to do so.”
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told