POLL: Ilford stabbing prompts safety fears - do you think crime is rising in Redbridge?
- Credit: Archant
A string of high-profile stabbings and shootings in Ilford has prompted safety fears, with some residents believing violent crime is getting out of control.
A man in his 20s was stabbed in his chest and arm in a fight outside Ilford train station, Cranbrook Road, on Thursday.
Members of the public saw the violence unfold around 7.45pm and hundreds reacted to the news on social networks.
On Twitter, Naznin Ibrahim wrote: “I can’t believe there’s been yet another stabbing in Ilford, outside the station as well! This area is not at all safer to live in.”
On the Recorder’s website, jojo_os wrote: “I’ve lived in Ilford for 50 years. I used to feel safe walking around the town centre after dark.
You may also want to watch:
“Now it’s too scary, I drive everywhere.”
Another man, aged 26, was stabbed near McDonald’s, High Road, in September and two men in their 20s were shot less than four miles apart in quiet residential roads on the same day in July.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 4 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 5 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 6 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 7 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 10 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
A man in his 20s was shot in the chest in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath, at 1.20am on July 27 and later, a 26-year-old was shot in the chest and legs outside his home in Fairfield Road, Ilford.
Days earlier, on July 22, two men aged 21 and 29 were shot in Mortlake Road by a gunman on a motorbike.
The Recorder is investigating whether violent crime is rising in Redbridge and why.
Do you feel safer or less safe than you used to? Answer our poll, call 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.