Plan to cut Barkingside zebra crossing in half thrown out
Plans to move half of a zebra crossing so it is closer to Fullwell Cross roundabout have been thrown out.
The changes were axed after councillors said they were “unnecessary”.
The proposals, which would have seen the zebra crossing in Craven Gardens, Barkingside, split in to two with a new section moved closer to the roundabout, were suggested to improve traffic conditions and prevent accidents in the road.
The busy pedestrian crossing is used particularly during around the start and end of the school day.
Speaking at Wednesday’s area committee three meeting held in Redbridge Sports and Leisure Centre, Forest Road, Barkingside, Conservative Cllr Nick Hayes said: “If we move the crossing further away from the entrance to Craven Gardens [car park], people are less likely to use it and then the safety issue is removed altogether.”
You may also want to watch:
There were two accidents that caused injuries between April 1, 2008, and March 31, 2011 in Craven Gardens. Neither were fatal.
Conservative Cllr David Poole added: “From a driver’s perspective, I believe it would be harder to see people at a staggered crossing.”
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
The estimated cost of the upgrade was �48,622.
Committee chairman and Conservative Cllr Alex Phillips said: “With an equal vote, it seems a big financial dent for something that is already fine and works as it is, and there have only been two minor accidents. It is an unnecessary expense.”
The cost of the scheme would have been funded entirely by the 2011-12 accident remediation local safety programme and maintenance costs of �500 a year would have come from the highways maintenance budget.