Petitions against Oakfields and development in Wanstead and Woodford trigger debates at heated council meeting
- Credit: Archant
Councillors clashed in a heated evening of debate over how to solve the burgeoning housing shortage in Redbridge last night (Thursday).
Three petitions were debated during a four-hour full council meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, Ilford High Road, after each gained more than 1,000 signatures triggering the discussions.
First, members received a petition with 1,500 signatures calling for all parties to suppport the removal of Oakfields Playing Fields from the local plan.
A second petition, which received 3387 signatures, called on the council to ditch any proposals for Wanstead and Woodford Development Corridor.
A third petition - which received 1550 signatures – opposed the overdevelopment in South Woodford in particular a planning brief outlining proposals for a 10-storey tower block on the Station Estate.
You may also want to watch:
See our website throughout the day for more coverage of the meeting.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath