New zebra crossing planned for Woodford Green shopping street
A new pedestrian crossing is being installed in Woodford Green later this year.
The zebra crossing will be in The Broadway between Sainsbury’s and Ware and Son newsagents, where there is currently a pedestrian island in the middle of the road.
More than two-thirds of residents who responded to a Redbridge Council consultation on the scheme approved of the plan.
Cllr Jim O’Shea said work could start next month.
He added: “There was some confusion around the pedestrian island. This will make the shopping area safer for pedestrians.”
You may also want to watch:
A council report said the crossing would benefit “all road users”.
It added: “The quality of life of residents will generally be improved by providing a better road safety environment compared to the existing situation by reducing road accidents, traffic speed and traffic flows.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence