New zebra crossing planned for Woodford Green shopping street
A new pedestrian crossing is being installed in Woodford Green later this year.
The zebra crossing will be in The Broadway between Sainsbury’s and Ware and Son newsagents, where there is currently a pedestrian island in the middle of the road.
More than two-thirds of residents who responded to a Redbridge Council consultation on the scheme approved of the plan.
Cllr Jim O’Shea said work could start next month.
He added: “There was some confusion around the pedestrian island. This will make the shopping area safer for pedestrians.”
You may also want to watch:
A council report said the crossing would benefit “all road users”.
It added: “The quality of life of residents will generally be improved by providing a better road safety environment compared to the existing situation by reducing road accidents, traffic speed and traffic flows.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 5 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 6 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 7 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 8 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford