New zebra crossing planned for Woodford Green shopping street
A new pedestrian crossing is being installed in Woodford Green later this year.
The zebra crossing will be in The Broadway between Sainsbury’s and Ware and Son newsagents, where there is currently a pedestrian island in the middle of the road.
More than two-thirds of residents who responded to a Redbridge Council consultation on the scheme approved of the plan.
Cllr Jim O’Shea said work could start next month.
He added: “There was some confusion around the pedestrian island. This will make the shopping area safer for pedestrians.”
You may also want to watch:
A council report said the crossing would benefit “all road users”.
It added: “The quality of life of residents will generally be improved by providing a better road safety environment compared to the existing situation by reducing road accidents, traffic speed and traffic flows.”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder