KMT will be demolished and replaced with 900 capacity theatre with basement pool and Library
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Council is planning to build a state of the art theatre complex in Ilford.
The Kenneth More Theatre will be demolished and replaced with a multi-purpose, six-storey building in Oakfield Road.
Like a leisure sandwich, a 900-capacity theatre will be positioned between a basement swimming pool, and a library full of books above.
There will also be room for a college campus on the top levels and officers are in talks with accredited university providers.
The council hope the new facility will be finished in five years and once completed, Redbridge Central Library will be relocated in the building.
The library site in Clements Road, has the potential to be then converted into housing which the council is planning rent out to residents at "affordable rates".
There will also be provision for a GP and a school.
- 1 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 2 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 3 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 4 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 5 Community opposition to Hainault bank closure
- 6 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 7 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 8 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
Council leader, Councillor Jas Athwal said: "If we don't build something new with multiple purposes, in the near future libraries and leisure facilities will close.
"We need to consolidate council resources and create a centre for all the community, otherwise they will be lost."
Redbridge Council is drawing up plans for consultation.