Redbridge selects new mayor for coming year
- Credit: Redbridge Council
A new mayor of Redbridge has been selected for 2021-2022.
Cllr Roy Emmett (Lab, Hainault) was nominated as mayor at the virtual annual council meeting on Thursday, April 29.
He will take over the reins from Cllr Zulfiqar Hussain (Lab, Clementswood), who served as mayor for an unprecedented two years after taking the position in 2019.
The transfer of the mayoral position was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, so Cllr Hussain continued in his role for another 12 months.
After a small ceremony overseen by interim chief executive Lesley Seary, Cllr Emmett said: "Thank you to my fellow councillors for entrusting me with this honourable position.
You may also want to watch:
"Across our borough, local people have gone above and beyond to support their neighbours through the pandemic and my aim as mayor is to show them our deep appreciation and gratitude.
“I will be inviting councillors to nominate residents or groups who have shown outstanding community spirit during this pandemic so that I can formally thank them on behalf of the borough.”
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 7 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 9 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 10 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
Cllr Emmett was first a Redbridge councillor between 1994 and 2002, and again most recently as a representative for Hainault since 2014.