New Mayor of Redbridge Cllr Ashley Kissin “a true gentleman” says Cllr Jas Athwal as he is elected council leader on same night
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Redbridge and the Leader of the Council were both sworn into office in front of a packed council chamber at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, on Thursday evening.
Last week, Cllr Ashley Kissin was first elected in as mayor, followed by Cllr Jas Athwal, leader of the Redbridge Labour group.
Cllr Athwal (Lab, Mayfield) seconded the Conservative councillor for the position of Mayor of Redbridge.
In doing so, he said: “The role of mayor signifies everything this borough stands for.
“Cllr Kissin is a true gentleman. It is important to recognise service.
You may also want to watch:
“When Cllr Keith Prince (the departing leader of the council) rang me [to discuss the position] I said “there is no question - it has to be Cllr Kissin”.
Cllr Prince (Con, Barkingside) said: “I am sure Cllr Kissin will make a fantastic mayor - he is a very straight forward and honest man.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Ilford North MP questions home secretary over 'lost' police records
- 7 Inquest into murdered nursing student fails to establish cause of death
- 8 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 9 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 10 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
Leader of the Liberal Democrats Cllr Ian Bond (Lib Dem, Roding) added, when seconding Cllr Kissin for mayor, he “did not have a bad word to say about him”.
He also added: “I hope that will be the case by the end of the year.”
Cllr Kissin appointed his wife Hilary, a former NHS management secretary, as Mayoress of Redbridge and Rabbi Alex Chapper, of Ilford Federation Synagogue, as his chaplain for the municipal year 2014/15.
On his new position, Rabbi Chapper said: “It is a privilege and an honour - I will assist Cllr Kissin in whatever he needs me to do.”
Rabbi Chapper has previously worked with Cllr Charles Elliman, who died in 2008, when he served as Mayor of Redbridge in 2005/06.
Rabbi Chapper said he had “no doubts” about accepting the role, working with Cllr Kissin, who is a part of his synagogue in Beehive Lane, Gants Hill.
Cllr Kissin’s charity while in office will be the Royal British Legion.