Redbridge Conservatives launch community forums for those restricted to speak at council meetings
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Conservatives have launched a new virtual forum for residents, after the council voted to limit questions that could be asked at council meetings.
Under the new rules, the council can reject questions from anyone who has spoken within the previous six months on “substantially the same matter”.
In response, Conservative councillors have launched Redbridge Residents Forums Have Your Say, which will allow residents a space to express their views.
The forums will invite interested residents to join councillors on a virtual panel with a public question and answer session.
Residents are encouraged to contact the group on Facebook to suggest topics and put themselves forward for panels.
Conservative Group leader Cllr Linda Huggett said: “Council leader Jas Athwal is restricting the only public platforms residents have to hold his leadership to account.
“The forums will invite residents to join with Conservative councillors in campaigning for change, and will be a far cry from many of the council’s meetings which are PR exercises for a leadership that isn’t willing to listen.”
You may also want to watch:
The first meeting will be held on November 4 and will cover Barkingside, Hainault, Aldborough and Fairlop.
The second meeting on November 18 will cover South Woodford, Churchfields, Monkhams, Wanstead and Woodford Bridge.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath