Neighbourhood watch said it does not back the Conservative party after its logo was used on campaign leaflets in Redbridge
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Neighbourhood Watch said it does not back the Conservative party, after its logo was printed on party campaign leaflets which were distributed in Redbridge.
The resident organisation's name was used without permission in a flyer promoting Shaun Bailey's Mayoral campaign which was circulated and supported by Chingford and Woodford Green Tory MP, Iain Duncan Smith.
John Hayward-Cripps, CEO of Neighbourhood Watch has now requested that all politicians "refrain from using our name" in correspondence.
"Neighbourhood Watch is and always has been a politically neutral movement - we have no affiliations and are entirely neutral," he said.
"Although we encourage politicians to engage with Neighbourhood Watch groups in a constructive manner, we ask all politicians to refrain from using our name in communications that could be interpreted as party political campaigning.
You may also want to watch:
"It is important that people of all views, backgrounds and life experiences feel that we are a movement that is open and listening to them."
The flyer was spotted by Labour prospective parliamentary candidate for Chingford and Woodford Green, Faiza Shaheen, and Neighbourhood Watch has now written directly to Mr Bailey, who lives in Harold Hill, requesting that their name be removed from any future campaigning literature.
- 1 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 2 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 3 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 4 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 5 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 6 Hainault woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 New entrance opened at Ilford Station to support Elizabeth line
- 9 Fire at block of maisonettes in Wanstead
- 10 Redbridge school's staff to strike over Covid working dispute
"It's a disgrace that the Conservative London mayoral candidate and Iain Duncan Smith are wrongfully using Neighbourhood Watch's good reputation for their own political gain," said Ms Shaheen
Mr Duncan Smith said the leaflets were delivered in response to requests for help from residents in Chingford and Woodford Green who were interested in setting up watch groups.